Sign in to follow this  
TJKeeran

[TuT] Rainbow Username

Hello,

Today I will be posting to show you how you can make usernames on your forum flash in a "Rainbow" fashion. This does not require "advanced" knowledge, just access to the Look & Feel section of your community's ACP.

Let's begin.
Firstly, you are going to navigate to ACP > Look & Feel > Your Skin > globalTemplate

This piece of code is to be inserted towards the bottom of the script. For example, you could place it just above where you see something relevant to <!-- ::: Footer ::: -->

<script>
var speed=80
var hex=new Array("00","14","28","3C","50","64","78","8C","A0","B4","C8","DC","F0")
var r=1
var g=1
var b=1
var seq=1
function changetext(){
for(i=0;i<document.getElementsByName("Rainbow").length;i++){
var storetext=document.getElementById? document.getElementsByName("Rainbow")[i] : document.all.highlight
rainbow="#"+hex[r]+hex[g]+hex[b]
storetext.style.color=rainbow
}
}
function change(){
if (seq==6){
b--
if (b==0)
seq=1
}
if (seq==5){
r++
if (r==12)
seq=6
}
if (seq==4){
g--
if (g==0)
seq=5
}
if (seq==3){
b++
if (b==12)
seq=4
}
if (seq==2){
r--
if (r==0)
seq=3
}
if (seq==1){
g++
if (g==12)
seq=2
}
changetext()
}
function starteffect(){
if (document.all||document.getElementById)
flash=setInterval("change()",speed)
}
starteffect()
</script>

After you have inserted the code, you may save your changes.

Now, we will navigate from within the ACP to Members > Member Groups > Manage Member Groups > Click on the group you wish to have the rainbow effect

For the group prefix, you are going to enter the following code

<span name="Rainbow"> 

As for the group suffix, you are going to enter

</span>

Once you are done, press Complete Edit and you should be good to go.

Things to note:

*This will only work on groups that you add the prefix & suffix to

*The rainbow will only show on skins that you add the script to

*It does not matter exactly where you place the script, as long as it is there and does not interrupt other code.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 2

This is a great tutorial, but I feel that rainbow usernames make the community looks a tad unproffesional, don't you think?

This is a great tutorial, but I feel that rainbow usernames make the community looks a tad unproffesional, don't you think?

Personally, yes I do agree that it does make the forum appear in an unprofessional manor. As for some communities which are laid back, such as gaming communities, it adds a more personal and energetic touch for the users. Be it as it may, it's just a quick fun little thing to spice up your forums :)

• Upvote 1

Personally, yes I do agree that it does make the forum appear in an unprofessional manor. As for some communities which are laid back, such as gaming communities, it adds a more personal and energetic touch for the users. Be it as it may, it's just a quick fun little thing to spice up your forums :)

Would you mind making a tutorial on how how to make general text flash?

• Upvote 1

Would you mind making a tutorial on how how to make general text flash?

Sure, I'll see if I can piece one together here shortly :)

EDIT: As promised 

• Upvote 1

Exact same tutorial I posted over a year ago.. Just reworded and organized the code (not even sure why the code in my topic is like that, I posted it differently).

Really nice...thanks :)

Little quesiton...Is it possible to make the rainbow effect with only one color? 

I mean if is possible to create that effect with only the green color or red color and not all the colors...

Edited by lNubPowerl

Very nice!

I am curious though, is it possible to do this with just a few colors? Basically what i mean is, i want the forum owner to have the rainbow effect with all of the colors and for different user groups, i would love to be able to set them with maybe purple to blue, and then for another group yellow to green, and then another from red to orange. 

I didnt want to play around with the code thats added into the globaltemplate section too much but is there a way to add several color changing effects?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

Hi! How would one go about doing this in the 3.3.4 version if IP? Also on a side note. I know how to change the general colors for different member titles.... but when I post something on the forum, it still shows up as that nasty default blue color T^T how do you go about making it so that the same color you use for the member title shows the same above your avatar when you post?

What do you think? Remember the human.