Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Davlin

Upcoming Major Features & Changes

How do you feel about these new features?  

148 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you like the idea of adding Members Shop (credits)?

    • Yes
      74
    • No
      32
    • Unsure
      42
  2. 2. Do you like the idea of adding a new default dark theme?

    • Yes
      116
    • No
      19
    • Unsure
      13
  3. 3. Do you like the idea of adding new general discussion forums?

    • Yes
      113
    • No
      15
    • Unsure
      20
  4. 4. Do you like the idea of changing the #support channel on Discord?

    • Yes
      54
    • No
      24
    • Unsure
      70


Recommended Posts

Rather than sitting on this news and waiting until release day to unveil everything, I want to offer up a primer for some massive changes coming to WebFlake. Most of the subjects below are still in planning stages or being worked on so feel free to offer your input, discuss what your most excited for, or even give us some new ideas.

 

Points / Credits System
Let's not waste any time and start with the biggest feature. We will be installing and configuring the Members Shop application and moving WebFlake in an entirely new direction with content. I can't give a lot of details on the exact configuration just yet but if you're unfamiliar with the application, here's a brief overview:

  • Members will earn, what we are tentatively dubbing, credits for each piece of content that they create, whether it be a topic, response, or file submission. Members will also earn credits for having their post selected as a "best answer" in support forums, for providing constructive file reviews, and more.
  • These credits will be able to be redeemed through a "shop" page where you can purchase, with these credits, things like a username change, a pinned topic, a featured file, member titles, temporary donator upgrades, and store discount codes for paid files.
  • All files on the site, with the exception of our paid files located in the WebFlake Store, will require varying amounts of credits to download. We're uncertain if we're going to allow file submitters to set the price of their files or if we will assign a default value for each file.
  • Users will have the option of banking their credits, donating them to other users, or gambling them away for a chance at even more credits.

With this system, we hope to not only encourage activity but promote a healthier community. Donator roles will still be available and existing donator roles will continue to be honored. Donators will receive a predetermined amount of free credits on a daily or weekly basis and will need to acquire the remainder of their credits organically (by posting, submitting files, etc).

 

Inactivity Policy Changes
Adding Members Shop will make our Inactivity Policy a bit cumbersome to enforce properly, so there's a good chance that it will be removed entirely. However, we are discussing the possibility of keeping the Inactivity Policy but modifying it to require users to spend their credits to be removed from the Inactive Members group and significantly reduce the number of credits an inactive member can acquire. This won't necessarily remove the issue of spam posts to be moved back out of the Inactive Members group so this is just something we're discussing.

 

New Theme (again)
You're probably wondering why we would move away from Oblivion Light so soon and the truth is, we're swinging for the fences and shifting to a default dark theme. For as long as WebFlake has existed, and its previous iterations, we have always used a "light" theme for our default theme and we've only ever had a dark secondary theme on two occasions. Over the next few days/weeks, you're going to notice some oddities with our current default theme (like our new Trackers page) that is seemingly designed for a dark theme and that's because it is. Our new theme will feature a landing page (i.e. a "homepage") but it will still retain some of the WebFlake flavors.

 

New Community-focused Sections
Someone once told me that WebFlake is "run like a business" and the reality is, they are right. WebFlake is a business but somewhere along the way, between Staff shakeups, spam posts, and wildly inconsistent activity, we lost sight of community. Phun and I built WebFlake on the foundation of friends, fun, and passion. Perhaps I'm naive in thinking we can bring that back but we're going to try and it starts with the basics: new discussion forums for entertainment, gaming, and even sports. Rather than feeling that you have nothing worthwhile to post, we want to provide everyone with a platform to post something. Let's create some new memories.

 

Donator Distinction
When Phun remodeled our previous donation format and created new donation tiers, he assigned the same color for all three tiers and the same badge icon. Despite each tier offering different perks, it feels like there is very little distinction between them. I want our donators to take pride in their tier and they should be glorified, rightfully so, for contributing to the upkeep of this community. So, with our next big update, donator tiers will each have their own unique color and emblem, plus more new perks.

 

Discord #support Removal
This isn't likely to be a popular decision. When we created the #support channel, the intention was to allow users to ask for assistance with trivial issues like minor CSS tweaks, application configuration, or other general issues. Instead, it's driven a wedge between the user and our support forums, making the #support channel the go-to source to ask for help with anything, including files and pinging Staff — essentially, the #support channel has only been abused. Our idea is, instead of removing the channel altogether, just restrict it to Blizzard tier donators as another form of "priority support". This is something we're still actively discussing and there's no guarantee of the channel being removed or changed.

 

Member Awards
Our current iteration of member awards, Trophies & Medals, has been temporarily disabled due to some issues with the app. Quite frankly, the whole thing needs to be reconfigured and we're on the hunt for an entirely new set of awards. As you might recall, we had a small set designed for us by TinkerToo but unfortunately, it doesn't fit what we want to achieve with member awards so we're going to redo them. Our hope is to provide a wide variety of awards for activity, special events, unique trophies, and more. We're open to submissions and paid offers.

 


 

This is all just a sample of the updates we have planned over the next couple of weeks. Much of this will happen all on one day while a few others will be rolled out before and after our WebFlake 5.0 update. If you have other ideas that you think we should implement, no matter how small or how big, let us know below.

Have a great weekend!

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Davlin said:

we are discussing the possibility of keeping the Inactivity Policy but modifying it to require users to spend their credits to be removed from the Inactive Members group

What if someone wants to save them up and they happen to go on a vacation? I don't know how I feel about this one.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2019 at 3:27 AM, Gamer74123 said:

What if someone wants to save them up and they happen to go on a vacation? I don't know how I feel about this one.

Inactivity Policy currently moves inactive members after 30 days. There is an extremely small percentage of people that will be on vacation for 30+ days. Realistically, the only user that would be affected by this format would be users who create an account and immediately go inactive. Upon returning, they would need to accrue X number of credits to remove themselves from the Inactive Members group but because they're marked inactive, they'll earn credits at a lower rate than a regular member would (e.g. one credit for a file submission versus five for a member).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to the community section changes. For some time, WebFlake hasn’t felt like a community due to only having support sections and file downloads being the main focus. These new sections will give users a lot more “personalization” on topics that are discussed and will spread out the “Off Topic” section.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to pretty much every change & upcoming feature that's stated, especially the community section. Keep up the good work! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like some real neat ideas there. I just wonder with the points system that is widely used across platforms will promote spam to gain points. but there again it has proved successful with the likes of mybb nulled based forums.

But then also really looking forward to the more community based side and the new theme keep up the good work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Sounds like some real neat ideas there. I just wonder with the points system that is widely used across platforms will promote spam to gain points. but there again it has proved successful with the likes of mybb nulled based forums.

But then also really looking forward to the more community based side and the new theme keep up the good work.

We actually used an iteration of a credits system ages ago and just couldn't make sense of it. 'Course, this was long before Members Shop was anything special. It's far from a perfect system but there's currently no reward to remaining active on the site — by giving users credits to earn to unlock perks and content, they'll now have an incentive to be active.

NulledBB has done wonders with a similar system and it's no surprise given how well-run the site is overall. You won't see me speak glowingly of other websites often but NulledBB is the only site I'd feel comfortable directing our members to in absence of the content they're looking for.

Spam will absolutely be an issue, I'm aware of that. We'll find a way to combat that to the best of our abilities.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I cant wait bud!

Big thumbs up from me 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a interesting system you plan to implement here and I can't wait to see how this improves the forum even more

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually love the ideas you are going to be doing. It is going to make for a better experience on WF. Instead of just support you can also come and have a chat about things also. It will be more of an online community whilst getting the help you need at the same time.

The only thing I don't really understand is how people say in the blizzard or snow groups will keep their current benefits with the new system in place. Cause obviously we will gain points for our posts, uploads etc also. But wouldn't take that away from the benefits we already have? Sorry if I am missing something here I just don't understand this part.

I also want to thank the WF Team for doing such a great job for the community here. You guys and girls are bloody awesome.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, IamKangy said:

The only thing I don't really understand is how people say in the blizzard or snow groups will keep their current benefits with the new system in place. Cause obviously we will gain points for our posts, uploads etc also. But wouldn't take that away from the benefits we already have? Sorry if I am missing something here I just don't understand this part.

That's something we're still working on. Currently, our idea is that the file limits will remain in place but will have a much greater restriction. Instead of being able to download 50 files per day, Blizzard will be able to download 10 files per day but the trade-off is that they won't have to use their credits on any current downloads. Some of the minor donation perks, like username changes, will become an item in our Member Shop to purchase with credits while we hope to introduce more things for Blizzard members to spend their credits on, like clubs or advertisements.

This is just a rough draft of the system and by no means is this the final version:

  • Earning credits:
    • Replies earn 1 credit.
    • Creating topics earns 2 credits.
    • Submitting a new file earns 2 credits.
    • Having your answer selected as best answer in support forums earns 3 credits.
  • Newbies, Members, and Advanced Members will be able to download a maximum of 3 files per day.
  • Elite and Legendary members will be able to download a maximum of 4 files per day.
  • Frost will be able to download a maximum of 5 files per day.
  • Snow will be able to download a maximum of 7 files per day.
  • Blizzard will be able to download a maximum of 10 files per day.

I'm also working on the possibility of allowing donators to earn more credits per activity, such as 2 credits for a reply.

We'll also be introducing some credit penalties such as removing a certain amount of credits for users that receive warnings for post infractions like topic bumping or trolling.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Davlin said:

That's something we're still working on. Currently, our idea is that the file limits will remain in place but will have a much greater restriction. Instead of being able to download 50 files per day, Blizzard will be able to download 10 files per day but the trade-off is that they won't have to use their credits on any current downloads. Some of the minor donation perks, like username changes, will become an item in our Member Shop to purchase with credits while we hope to introduce more things for Blizzard members to spend their credits on, like clubs or advertisements.

This is just a rough draft of the system and by no means is this the final version:

  • Earning credits:
    • Replies earn 1 credit.
    • Creating topics earns 2 credits.
    • Submitting a new file earns 2 credits.
    • Having your answer selected as best answer in support forums earns 3 credits.
  • Newbies, Members, and Advanced Members will be able to download a maximum of 3 files per day.
  • Elite and Legendary members will be able to download a maximum of 4 files per day.
  • Frost will be able to download a maximum of 5 files per day.
  • Snow will be able to download a maximum of 7 files per day.
  • Blizzard will be able to download a maximum of 10 files per day.

I'm also working on the possibility of allowing donators to earn more credits per activity, such as 2 credits for a reply.

We'll also be introducing some credit penalties such as removing a certain amount of credits for users that receive warnings for post infractions like topic bumping or trolling.

Thank you for such a detailed response. It is a massive drop to what we currently have. But I do like the idea and understand it more now.

However, this could also drive people away from the site. And hopefully it will remain the same that no licence will be required as has always been the case, not like another site that I will not mention the name of. But sure you know which I am talking about.

And the idea of an extra credit for donators sounds like a great idea. But you also don't want to have that up too much as people will abuse the system. And that would make more work for the Moderators and Administrators in dealing with people who try to abuse the new system.

But overall I am liking it. Well done to you Davlin and the rest of the team involved in getting all this arranged and setup. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What do you think? Remember the human.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

WebFlake uses cookies to ensure that you get the best experience possible within our community. More Info