Limited-Time Donation Special!
Upgrade to Snow for $20 USD and receive a free copy of Oblivion Light ($5 discount).
Upgrade to +Blizzard for $35 USD and receive a free copy of Oblivion Light ($15 discount).

Please visit the thread below for more details.
CLICK HERE

Contact @Davlin with questions or comments.

antarsis

Would you fake some users/posts at a beggining?

So you are about to start a new forum. You have no users. And it's hard to get users without making it look like an engaging site.

Would you fake some members? Posts? Or maybe just close the forum for guests making it look like a super secret forum? :D

What would you do?

1 hour ago, antarsis said:

So you are about to start a new forum. You have no users. And it's hard to get users without making it look like an engaging site.

Would you fake some members? Posts? Or maybe just close the forum for guests making it look like a super secret forum? :D

What would you do?

There's nothing wrong with faking a few members if your whole site is empty. If you have staff you can also tell them to create additional accounts and post as them. using an app like this also helps a lot too. Sadly I don't have it or I would have uploaded it. https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/7708-linked-accounts-post-as/

Closing the Forum from guests is a good idea too but can also drive people away like it can get them curious. 

• Upvote 1

Lol no. Faking genuine interest in a site is lame.

4 hours ago, gooboy said:

Lol no. Faking genuine interest in a site is lame.

I'd have to agree. If your site isn't engaging the user or giving the user to join, then you should work on that. Use methods of advertising such as Google Ads, word of mouth, etc. to build up your community. Of course, you won't have the biggest community and will take a lot of work to get there. Faking users/posts is generally dumb and will only make you lose genuine users.

• Like 1

Also with me it took some time, until I came from quasi zero to over hundred members with my side. I started when IPS version 4 was currently available for download on webflake and invisionvirus. About a month ago I had about 120 members. The community was mainly concerned with Android, Windows and related devices, as well as helping with problems with these.

For me it would have been unthinkable at that time to even try to fake any content or rather members. Not just because I was active in the bilingual area. German and English. Unfortunately I had rented a .eu domain, which expired a few weeks ago and would have had to be renewed.

Since I didn't want to spend a three-digit amount for a reactivation of the domain and also noticed that most members only registered once for an order and the purchase of a voucher code for Debriditalia, I lost the ambition to continue the whole thing.

Now I have my domain isacologne with .de ending (by the way for the price of 1,- €/month) used years ago again in use. So far with the same content: Android and Windows, as well as a blog with IT news. The problem: today you fall over all those pages which deal with these topics and the offer of help.

Since a few days I have outsourced the shop area with the help of another software (shopware), because I specialize more in Dropshipping.

A bounce rate of the visitors, which is currently 26 percent, speaks for itself. And this even though I haven't yet connected Google, Amazon, Facebook and Instagram. I will simply wait and see and offer more interesting products whose prices speak for themselves.

Edited by Humaniac

It's not a good idea as people would later found out. It's hard to keep up a fake community, even if you have people to help you. All communities I was part of were usually gaming communities so it's easier to get members if you have a wide variety of games. I don't feel the need to, though. I think I'd do it if it's something else, like Instagram Followers/Comments/Likes, Facebook Likes/Comments, YouTube Views/Likes/Comments/Subscribers etc, but not active members in a community.

I tried my hand at it when I first started but quickly found it was a lot of extra work and hard to change writing styles so no one would know it was me. I gave it up really quick. 

If you have quality content, and market the hell out of it to your target audience, you should have people chiming in pretty quick. 

What do you think? Remember the human.