Davlin

WebFlake Updates: What's Next

12 posts in this topic

For the front page, have you considered a completely custom layout, maybe having nothing to do with IPS or another CMS? I've never been a fan of IPS portals/front pages.

I can't say much, very new to the community, but I'd say you should bring more opportunity to WebFlake. A few examples I have would be:

• As a web developer who isn't the biggest fan of using CMS because I enjoy using my own work rather than taking a lazy route, I feel like your web development categories are pretty dead, not too dead, but I'd like to see that area grow some more
  • Open up new horizons for different kinds of people, such as social media development discussions, etc. Make things interesting. Maybe introduce a gaming discussion, anime discussion, etc. I guess if the demand calls for it, but demand also always isn't required of current demand, but possibilities in the future.
  • I feel like downloads take FOREVER for members...and I know you guys are trying to limit us and gain our dedication, but I really feel like those could be a lower amount of time...might just be me, I get super excited to download all my plugins and stuff sometimes lol.
  • We should have some community events, not sure how often you guys do something like that, but we are a community, we should do some things together.

Just a few of my ideas, thanks for providing such an amazing community. I used to thought communities like these were very dull and full of spammers, but definitely worth my while.

2 hours ago, Stormie said:

Maybe introduce a gaming discussion, anime discussion, etc.

We basically got rid of this stuff, why? It was dead, there was no point keeping dead stuff on the forum and using space up if its just gonna sit there

1 hour ago, Captain America said:

We basically got rid of this stuff, why? It was dead, there was no point keeping dead stuff on the forum and using space up if its just gonna sit there

I'm a little new, sorry did not know it was dead. However, sometimes "dead" can just be an excuse to not have to deal with something, sometimes you have to build multiple audiences. For me example, when I go on websites like this I enjoy hanging out in web master forums which is generally considered dead, but with a few people can seem pretty lively ;) but it's understandable.

Posted (edited)

• One thing I'd like to see new is the ranks system. Not bad, but I would like to see more news about it. I like to look at my profile and see that I'm already on a certain level, but I wanted it to be more highlighted.
  • I also like more personalization in profile and a metro style in the forum visual!
  • They are just suggestions, I do not expect them to be made, but to open up new ideas from them!
Edited by ricard0h
Correction

@Stormie

5 hours ago, Stormie said:

For the front page, have you considered a completely custom layout, maybe having nothing to do with IPS or another CMS? I've never been a fan of IPS portals/front pages.

We're going to be using IPS Pages, there's no question in that. We want the front page to be fully integrated and the best way to do that is with Pages.

As a web developer who isn't the biggest fan of using CMS because I enjoy using my own work rather than taking a lazy route, I feel like your web development categories are pretty dead, not too dead, but I'd like to see that area grow some more

Dubbing the use of a CMS as being lazy is a bit of a reach. Are you referring to more content or the introduction of more categories?

Open up new horizons for different kinds of people, such as social media development discussions, etc. Make things interesting. Maybe introduce a gaming discussion, anime discussion, etc. I guess if the demand calls for it, but demand also always isn't required of current demand, but possibilities in the future.

Social media could be a possibility but the risk involved with shedding anonymity to seek help with social media identities would likely leave those areas unused.

This community is webmaster oriented, not gaming. Anime is so far from relevant to what we do here that I'm concerned you might be trolling me.

I feel like downloads take FOREVER for members...and I know you guys are trying to limit us and gain our dedication, but I really feel like those could be a lower amount of time...might just be me, I get super excited to download all my plugins and stuff sometimes lol.

It's currently a 90-second wait for Newbies, 60 for Members, and 30 for Advanced Members. That really isn't all that bad. It's not so much about dedication as it is about limiting the resource consumption by users who are just passing through. Do we hope that these restrictions might encourage users to be more active within WebFlake? Absolutely. Do we believe it will? Not really.

We should have some community events, not sure how often you guys do something like that, but we are a community, we should do some things together.

This is something we're already discussing and we're hoping that putting together a weekly or monthly newsletter assists with that. Baby steps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

@ricard0h

1 hour ago, ricard0h said:

One thing I'd like to see new is the ranks system. Not bad, but I would like to see more news about it. I like to look at my profile and see that I'm already on a certain level, but I wanted it to be more highlighted.

Can you be more specific about the ranks? Are you referring to member groups or the user title (such as "New Flake")?

1 hour ago, ricard0h said:

I also like more personalization in profile and a metro style in the forum visual!

Profile customization is available to our donators. As for a metro style theme, that's not going to happen. A bit overused these days.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Not really, probably more content.

And no, I am not trolling you lmfao, I am actually liking this community, been pretty active if saying it doesn't, would not be a troll even if I dreamed to. It's just sometimes nice to have more directed off-topic sections, but just having one is okay I guess.

I don't think I care for dedication for your download system, I just enjoy the community. I actually get my downloads from somewhere else, but I did get a theme which is why I noticed, so I was just putting in my two cents, cause it is what you asked for :P 

Good luck, I see lots of potential in this community.

Content has definitely stagnated over the last year or so but that's more to do with the market we're in and less to do with the site itself.

Our off-topic section, outside of NSFW content, is available to discuss just about anything but I feel that having an area for anime or gaming would be overstepping the boundaries of what this community should be focused on. We definitely want our users to feel as though they're welcome but not at the expense of who we are as a community. We offer Discord as another alternative for community interaction.

Realistically speaking, the majority of our content is either files, support topics, or content generated by Advanced Members and users with a vested interest in the site, such as donators or Staff. If a user can't take the time to give back, even just a little, even just by trying to assist with a support topics, chatting with the community, or offering a friendly hello in our introductions forum, then there's really no need for those users at a lower rank to have unfettered access to the biggest draw on the site: our files. Newbies are able to move up to Member with five posts and Members can move to Advanced Member with 50. It doesn't take much effort at all.

As a community that's been around for nearly a decade and as the last bastion among "the originals", yes, I'd say we still have plenty of potential.

Thanks again.

1 minute ago, Davlin said:

Content has definitely stagnated over the last year or so but that's more to do with the market we're in and less to do with the site itself.

Our off-topic section, outside of NSFW content, is available to discuss just about anything but I feel that having an area for anime or gaming would be overstepping the boundaries of what this community should be focused on. We definitely want our users to feel as though they're welcome but not at the expense of who we are as a community. We offer Discord as another alternative for community interaction.

Realistically speaking, the majority of our content is either files, support topics, or content generated by Advanced Members and users with a vested interest in the site, such as donators or Staff. If a user can't take the time to give back, even just a little, even just by trying to assist with a support topics, chatting with the community, or offering a friendly hello in our introductions forum, then there's really no need for those users at a lower rank to have unfettered access to the biggest draw on the site: our files. Newbies are able to move up to Member with five posts and Members can move to Advanced Member with 50. It doesn't take much effort at all.

As a community that's been around for nearly a decade and as the last bastion among "the originals", yes, I'd say we still have plenty of potential.

Thanks again.

I mean you're completely correct, but I think there are some missed points, but I'm not here to discuss business. People will do what they will to get access to your files, dedication or not, it really isn't that hard to bypass, etc. Not saying I would. Also, potential can always mean anything, I've seen it go wrong ways and good ways yet still be considered potential. A decade is a long time in growing a community, especially when the demand for them will likely come to a plateau within the next few years, can't be too sure. It's definitely something I'll stick around to watch.

We're absolutely aware that people will circumvent the restrictions with duplicate accounts, VPNs, etc. There's nothing we can do to stop it entirely but it'll still remain effective against those who don't know how or are simply without the means to do so. We're not particularly interested in the success rate of it all. It's just how we choose to do things.

It's already plateaued but largely because WebFlake was in limbo; precisely why I decided to contact Phun about returning and resuming my duties here. Until software developers find a permanent solution to prevent the distribution of their content or provide a try-before-buy model, the demand for sites like WebFlake will always exist.

14 minutes ago, Davlin said:

We're absolutely aware that people will circumvent the restrictions with duplicate accounts, VPNs, etc. There's nothing we can do to stop it entirely but it'll still remain effective against those who don't know how or are simply without the means to do so. We're not particularly interested in the success rate of it all. It's just how we choose to do things.

It's already plateaued but largely because WebFlake was in limbo; precisely why I decided to contact Phun about returning and resuming my duties here. Until software developers find a permanent solution to prevent the distribution of their content or provide a try-before-buy model, the demand for sites like WebFlake will always exist.

Well not just WebFlake, but yeah. Demand will always be needed, but it just isn't as strong as it was 2-3 years ago. 

Congratulations to all of you for the incredible work done over these 4 years. I loved the idea of implementing a WF homepage with tutorials, knowledge base, frequently asked questions and so on.

I hope the community continues to grow. I like what you have here, so for now I have no suggestions, but I'll think of something.

Incidentally, I have a yes: the avatars in the topics could be bigger. What do you think?

What do you think? Remember the human.