Limited-Time Donation Special!
Upgrade to Snow for $20 USD and receive a free copy of Oblivion Light ($5 discount).
Upgrade to +Blizzard for $35 USD and receive a free copy of Oblivion Light ($15 discount).

Please visit the thread below for more details.
CLICK HERE

Contact @Davlin with questions or comments.

Davlin

Community Polling

Should WebFlake drop support for IPB 3.4.x?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should WebFlake drop support for IPB 3.4.x?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Should WebFlake re-add vBulletin and MyBB content?

• Yes,WF should fully support vBulletin and MyBB
    • Yes, just the downloads area
    • No

Would like to get some input from the community on some potential upcoming changes. Cast your votes and post your thoughts. Thanks!

See below for more information before casting your votes.

Should WebFlake drop support for IPB 3.4.x?
We will not be removing 3.4.x content but we are considering removing official support for it as 3.4.x is two years old and a security risk. We would be removing the 3.x tags from the Support and Requests area and removing the category link to the downloads area. Remember, the downloads themselves will still be available.

Should WebFlake re-add vBulletin and MyBB content?
In March 2014, we dropped support for MyBB and disabled its downloads category as interest had waned and MyBB is open-source software anyway. vBulletin was dropped (downloads disabled as well) in February 2015 for the same reasons. We've seen requests increase over the last few years, including a few suggestions, to bring back both vBulletin and MyBB so we're now officially considering it. Our options are to restore access to the files only, add limited support for both packages in conjunction with the files, or not bother at all. To be clear, if we add limited support we will be adding a single forum for MyBB and a single forum for vBulletin, meaning support, requests, and discussion will be in one section and support will be purely peer-to-peer. We do not have any interest in fully supporting either forum software at this time.

It's worth mentioning that we have a number of other ideas in the pipeline that we will get to in the coming days.

I've been checking back on the results from time to time and I'm seeing some people answer "no" to dropping support for IPB 3.4.x and would like to ask that if you feel that way, mind sharing why you think we shouldn't? If it's about the content, then remember that I said the category for 3.4.x would remain but for support, I'm curious as to why some feel we should continue supporting an outdated version that won't be receiving future updates.

• Upvote 1

Webflake is popular because of Invision Power. If adding these two software will happen the same thing as the XenForo area (dead).

13 hours ago, Davlin said:

I've been checking back on the results from time to time and I'm seeing some people answer "no" to dropping support for IPB 3.4.x and would like to ask that if you feel that way, mind sharing why you think we shouldn't? If it's about the content, then remember that I said the category for 3.4.x would remain but for support, I'm curious as to why some feel we should continue supporting an outdated version that won't be receiving future updates.

I guess it's a matter of personal choice... speaking for myself I've tried them both and keep going back to 3.4.x. I like the look better and the variety of MODS and Themes available.

To me, all the 4.x sites all look the same...

Hi I can see where some are coming from on the IP Board matter, Its not really whether the board is supported by IPB as it is already end of life, and they are no longer supporting it.

However there are a lot of 3.4 boards out there who have games arcades and they loathe to lose them so they will keep their boards no matter what, and some are really nice boards, there is a wealth of v3. programmers out there,  I for one and my members miss the Arcade we had on our board, it was upgraded by IPB to version 4 as their new software messed up my version 3.4 control panel.

Most are not happy at paying $60 every six months just to get upgrades, same with all the addons, pay a fee for them, then pay again just to get updates every 6 or twelve months this was just writers copying IPBs fees system and hiking up the boards price. Me personally I think that will be IPBs ultimate downfall they will kill off the boards with the price hikes, one reason why Webflake and others are gaining now in popularity.

VBulletin is still a very popular board, not many ask for items because they can get them free from their website, I myselt have a VB 4 licence which I bought and never used and is still fully supported by VBulletin.

As free boards go, the one to watch is MyBB it is becoming very popular in these days where money is scarce and incomes do not follow with inflation, and there are some real nice boards out there.

• Upvote 2

I voted no on removing IPB 3.4 support, why? Alot of people still use IPB 3.4, dropping support for this version is way to early, I know it's been like 2 year's but we want to expand WebFlake not remove stuff. I think keeping it would still benefit people, just my thought on that

Adding back the vBulletin etc... would be a great idea after all, expanding is good, right?

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Dvader said:

I guess it's a matter of personal choice... speaking for myself I've tried them both and keep going back to 3.4.x. I like the look better and the variety of MODS and Themes available.

To me, all the 4.x sites all look the same...

Given that 3.4 was released in 2012, naturally it would have a significantly larger library of apps, plugins, and styles. Xbox 360 was released in 2005 and has the largest library of any console but the Xbox One is still vastly superior. IPS 4.x already contains a large portion of the 3.4.x library as default features.

4 hours ago, Hidden Ninja said:

I voted no on removing IPB 3.4 support, why? Alot of people still use IPB 3.4, dropping support for this version is way to early, I know it's been like 2 year's but we want to expand WebFlake not remove stuff. I think keeping it would still benefit people, just my thought on that

Adding back the vBulletin etc... would be a great idea after all, expanding is good, right?

Much like Microsoft, at some point, we have to move on. I'm sure there is still a significant number of people still using Win7 but that didn't prevent Microsoft from designating Win7 as legacy software, dropping support for it, and moving on. IPB 3.x only supports up to PHP 5.4 and as hosting environments upgrade to PHP 7, older versions of PHP will be susceptible to security risks (much like IPB 3.x itself already is). We can't and won't force WebFlake users to upgrade to IPS 4.1 but we can't be held down by users too afraid to upgrade -- it's been two years!

I'm not suggesting we forget about our 3.x users entirely but I feel our resources would be better served being focused on current software.

I wouldn't say that we're "expanding" by adding MyBB and vBulletin as it's unlikely that we'll ever fully support either software (the former is free and the latter is dead). There aren't that many sources for either package out there so we thought it'd be a nice touch to at least provide some content even if we don't intend to open support / request boards for it.

• Upvote 2

What do you think? Remember the human.