Galaxy

Apache vs Nginx

49 posts in this topic

I use nginx for my static content (css/js/img) and Apache with Varnish for my dynamic content. So my IPB setup splits the static/dynamic content. Very helpful with performance & load.

I'm wondering why you're using this configuration. Does it give you any benefits over JUST NGiNX with PHP fpm? Using all three seems like it'd use a lot of resources unnecessarily.

​That is true. I'd like to run a speed test on WebFlake vs. that site.

​That wouldn't be conclusive since both probably run on different hardware.

I use nginx for my static content (css/js/img) and Apache with Varnish for my dynamic content. So my IPB setup splits the static/dynamic content. Very helpful with performance & load.

I'm wondering why you're using this configuration. Does it give you any benefits over JUST NGiNX with PHP fpm? Using all three seems like it'd use a lot of resources unnecessarily.

​That is true. I'd like to run a speed test on WebFlake vs. that site.

​That wouldn't be conclusive since both probably run on different hardware.

​That is true.

​I run multiple sites on the same server so it's just easier to manage for me by having split configs.

Personally have used Apache on all servers, although I would like to give nginx a try someday.

I also have Apache + Nginx + Varnish Cache Server. IPB 4 Installation on http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ measures 89% Faster than other websites. With only Apache it was 77% with nginx it was 82%

What about litespeed? I prefer nginx rather than Apache.

NGinx plus varish cache server is very fast.

I did a speed test that compared Se7ensins and TheTechGame these were the results.

52cd3e144bd954732e9d3d47a56e931e.png

eec4f00d46ca82b80acaaac41232e70c.png

As you can see Se7ensins loads much faster than TheTechGame so I am curious as to what Se7ensins uses.

Edited by DragonVoid

nginx have more performance yes but you can execute more request on apache so the tech use depend of the use behind

if you use for simple html and many view go to nginx but if you use php and mysql with many request apache is better, so for ipb (60 request in base and + 100 with app and hook) => is apache the better

PastedGraphic-2-1024x492.thumb.png.e2c08

and for the traffic is the same Nginx can also handle on average 40% higher traffic than apache in 300% less time so for big project with big trafic apache is the best

sorry for my bad english .....i hope you have understand me

Edited by titcrunch

I've found Nginx easier to configure, and way easier to keep running stably.

I also have Apache + Nginx + Varnish Cache Server. IPB 4 Installation on http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/ measures 89% Faster than other websites. With only Apache it was 77% with nginx it was 82%

Did you configure varnish in any specific way for IP.Board? I'm curious to see if varnish provides any real benefit over what cloudflare already does for webflake.